My little Shelby has been asking for tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for the past few days. We had left overs from the other day and so tonight, she was going to enjoy the last bit of the spoils.
Just before dinner I had asked her and the rest of the kids to get on their pj's. So Shelby decided to put on her Penguin pj. I didn't realize she had them on until she had brought me one of my belts (nice silky belt) and asked me to tie her feet together so she could "walk like a penguin".
"No problem", was my response...."that would be fun.".
So, she went hopping around the kitchen and the living room like a little penguin...if only real penguins could hop. But hey, it's all part of the imagination, right?
Well, I give her a little shout out that her soup is done. When she cames into the kitchen, I was occupied with making dinner and had no idea that I had let a penguin enter into the area. I didn't know she still had her feet tied.
(you think you know what is going to happen, but you don't)
So, I say "Shelb, take your bowl to the table and get started". As I say that I see her get the bowl off the counter I see that red tomatoey liquid go swirling around and around the bowl all the way to the top..but not one drop escaped. I make a quick comment that maybe it would be wise if I gave a little help this time. So, she agreed and put the bowl back. I guess I turned around and got side tracked in a matter of a second because when I turned again...sure enough that bowl was back in her hands and was taken off for the table. Again, I see the soup go around and around the bowl, and again....not one drop. This time, Luke had enter the kitchen and caught her in the act. He mentioned that maybe it would be wise if Mom helped with the bowl. So, of course this time I was smart. You know...don't turn away from the bowl for a second or it might be gone...type of smart. I go a head and pick up the bowl, with my little Shelby standing right next to me, watching her precious bowl of soup get escorted to the table for her. The problem was...she was standing right in front of me and ...(you still think you know where this is going, but again, it just might surprise you).
So imagine if you will, me (taller than Shelby) holding the bowl at mid-drift area, and my little Shelby right in front of me, with her little penguin feet tied together. I start to move and then it happened...the Penguin has to move...so she hops! And wouldn't you know it, she nailed the bottom of the bowl with her little penguin head and there goes the bowl...flying in the air....first dumping most of the contents on that little head of hers, then splattering on the floor and the cabinets and finally the bowl comes to a graceful landing in the bottom of one of the chairs, clear across the kitchen. 

I turned away thinking, I was furious! But when I got the courage to take a peek at the mess I couldn't help but laugh! Poor little Shelby thought I was laughing at her, so she started crying. Plus she is covered in her dinner, and to top it off in her favorite pj's. Little Creed is sitting in his high chair with the best view in the house...pointing at her and laughing as well. I wasn't laughing at her, but the fact that I was the mom and was thinking how wise it would be to carry it for her, then I go and blow it!
Oh, it was funny!
There is a sad part to this story...poor little Penguin ended up eating a burrito...that was the last of the soup.
4 comments:
That is so funny. Poor little Shelby. I sure miss you guys, can't wait until spring break. YEAH!! Love the pictures and the fact that you didn't get mad and yell. I need to learn from you
HI-LARIOUS!!! I can't believe I haven't even looked at blogs in over a week & look at all the fun I've missed. That's the best - at least you could laugh at it. I'm sure I still would have found a way to be mad & YELL!!
ah ha! funny stuff. never a dull moment at your house!
girl, you have got to keep more tomato soup in the house for that child...that is so sad that she didn't get any. :( but it makes a hilarious story. hhahaha!
Post a Comment