Sunday, April 20, 2008

Day of Success

April 12th was a day of celebration. Luke and I have struggled on getting our little Shelby to ride her bike without training wheels. She wants to go with us for bike rides and does pretty good and keeping up on her scooter, but after awhile her leg is so tired. We have been bugging her to get on that bike and let's just give it a try. But, the answer is the same "NO, it's to scary."


Then out of the blue, last Saturday, she asks me to help her balance on her little brothers bike. IT's without training wheels as well, but it's much smaller. I thought I had better seize the chance of her asking for help. So, she jumped on started pedaling and I held on for about 10 seconds. She got a little nervous when she tipped a little and couldn't figure out the brakes. But back on she went and I held on once more for about 10 more seconds and that was the last time I had to. She was OFF and cruizin!

That night we went for a ride that was about 2 miles...once in a while she would crash and burn and I would get nervous that she had had enough. Not the Shelbert, she jumped right back up and took off again. I asked her a few times if she needed my help just to get started. She was so put out that I would even ask. "NO...I don't need any help" she would say with a snarl. It was like watching a professional baseball player standing in front of me at the home plate, ready to bat, and I have the nerve to tell him he is standing to close to the plate and his grip is to high on the bat. You can imagine that look that I might of got...well, that was the same from Shelby.

I am so proud of her and am proud that she is proud of herself. I know that sounds like a crazy sentence. But, she did tell me "I am proud of myself for being brave and riding my bike."

What a doll FAce!

5 comments:

Goodrich said...

What a cute girl, I am excited to see you all.
By the way Carter is riding without training wheels- rock on!

Addie Gaylord said...

Seriously, great job! But, is Carter really riding without training wheels? If so, how much would you charge to come over teach Zane that trick? GOOD JOB Shelby!

fivewheeler said...

Shelb. YOu are Awesome. Good job.

Crazy Momma said...

Then she did it on her bike all the way to the mall with no crashing and did amazing stopping to cross the streets! I'm proud shes proud too.

emily said...

Good job Shelb!!! I still remember learning to ride my. I refused to quit until I learned, in a dress, down hill!