I had a situation happen to me the other day that made me think a few things.
1. I had forgotten how Hard it is to tell the truth, when the consequences might cost lots of money.
2. My monthly motto is Integrity!
My SIL and I were checking out one of these new stores "Fresh and Easy" that are popping up everywhere. We had about 30 minutes till it was time to pick up the girls from Preschool. So off we went. I walked in and noticed there weren't many people in there and so I think I remember just about every customer. I know what they were looking at and what aisle I was on when I just about ran over them with my cart. Or where they were when Carter just about got ran over by their cart. Anyhow, we noticed the time and decided we had better be off. We check out...which by the way....they only have "self-checkout". We get to the car and while I am putting my groceries in the back of my car I hear Carter say "Oh no, mom, help". I look and both of the boys are sitting in the cart and the cart is moving slowly towards another vehicle. I yell "Oh, crap" and run to the cart just in the nick of time....NOT! The dang cart hit a truck, set the alarm off and left a small fingernail size dent in the door. Instantly my mind went a zillion miles an hour.
*Hurry and get the kids in the car and take off, nobody will know.
*Leave a note and a number and take off.
*Hurry and get out of here!
*Wait for the person to come out and tell them what you did.
*Why am I still sitting here in the parking lot....get OUT NOW!
*Maybe it will be a person like me that will say "oh, it was an accident, don't worry about it."
*The person is going to sue you and take all your children...LEAVE!
*Run into the store and tell the person what happened.
I sat there with my heart pounding out of my chest. We had just made a claim on our insurance and the payments went up. I was sick with the thought that again...something was going to cost me money...because of a slope in the parking lot and an accident.
I started looking over the truck noticing that there weren't any dents anywhere, except the back bumper. I also noticed that the truck was amazingly clean and that this person would probably not just say "no big deal". I started thinking about all the people in the store and who might this truck belong to. I instantly knew! I remember seeing this big, musclebound guy, about 35 yrs old, in the store and I knew that he was the driver. Again my heart was about to burst. what should I do. I was disgusted with myself that I was having such a hard in choosing the right. So...I stepped outside my door and ran into the store. I knew that if I walked..I would turn around. So running was the best option for me.
When I walked in...there he was checking out. I walked up to him and asked if that truck belonged to him. As I imagined...it did. I informed him of the situation and all he could say was "oooh, nooo". I told him that I would wait till he checked out and we could see what needs to happen.
So, off to the car I went with my heart in my throat, waiting for the "decision". He finally came out and walked up to the side of the truck. He again said "oooh noo". I wasn't feeling very confident but knew I needed to make a connection to have my punishment somewhat less. When I told him the story again he said "thanks for being honest". I said in return "I have 4 children, it has to start somewhere". I didn't tell him how hard it was...but thought about my 4 children and how hard it is for them to tell me the truth. Anyhow, in the mist of our conversation I hear from his mouth...
"Do you have Cox?"
"say what?" came out of mine.
He repeated it again, "do you have Cox services".
I didn't' know where this all came from...but I thought I better answer it honestly. "no, i have qwest".
I asked him if that's what he does and if he had a business card. At that point, I was thinking that we were in a good spot with our communication....confusion or diversion!
My story is getting really long. To sum it all up...the conversation ended with us exchanging numbers.
Mine for the dent and his for TV/phone services!
I am glad that it all ended the way it did, but I tell you....that was hard. I am disappointed in myself that it was! I really don't have a problem with telling the truth, but for some reason...this situation was hard for me. I just remember thinking that if I had drove off...my conscious would of been far worse!

6 comments:
ohhh ren...you did what was right and that is all dat matters...so are going to switch to COX is the question???
It was hard becuase of your evil SIL telling you it wasn't that big of a deal. You are good though & did the right thing! Now bring on the blessings!!
dang...i would hope i would do that same thing in that situation....not sure that i would!
Way to go Rennie! I loved reading your story... feel like I was there! Was the guy huge and scary?? If so, I would have run out of there! Way to teach your kids a lesson, and Mel too :) JK
From a person who would notice a little ding, thanks for telling the truth. I've had this happen in kind of a major way and they walked away and maybe never thought about it again. Thanks for being you. We love you and your strong sence of wrong and right.
There aren't enough honest people in the world. Way to CTR. What great blessings you will get from being such a good example to your children!
Post a Comment