Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Reflections of Christ

On Sunday I was sitting in Sunday School and the teacher mentioned something about an Art display at the Visitors Center. Luke, my husband, told me that many of the shots were taken down south where we are moving in a few months. That made me interested. I am a LOVER of art and seeing others interpertation of "whatever". I love to see paintings, sculpture, photo's...just about any element. After I had heard about this display I also read about it on my Sister-in-laws blog and how wonderful it was. I thought...I have got to see this. I had to sneek a peek online to get an idea of what I might see and also because I could hardly wait. The online video I saw did NOT prepare me for the Personal visit that I made today.

I decided that I would make the trek to the Temple today with all 4 children. I really wanted them to see it and to see what their response was. I also, knew that it might not be the visit that I had in mind for myself....simply because I like to see the "details" the "textures" of the pictures. And I some how knew that the 5 of us going might not allow that much time in a room with just pictures, as far as my kids were concerned. I tried to prepare them a little by telling them what me would see. "A picture of someone dresses up like Jesus" or "a picture of what it might of been like when Jesus was born, lived and died". The kids were great once we entered the Visitor Center. All Carter could say was "Jesus" as he pointed to just about every painting in the room. The kids were reverent and were told by a Sister Missionary that they might feel different in their heart, and that it was the Holy Ghost. Once we walked in I was instanting excited, and I knew that I still had to go to another room. They don't have this display out just where you might walk into it. They have it in a room, a dark room with lights placed carefully and exactly where they want them. They have the most Spiritual and perfect Music playing in about every corner you turn. It's an EXPERIENCE! And emotional, spiritual, overwhelming, loving, amazing Experience.!
I will never the forget way I felt looking at those Photos but especially the feelings I had in front of one or two. I will not tell you where you will find them, because it might take your experience away from you. But there are 3 photos that are almost exactly the same...with one change and that is Joseph, Jesus' father. The Manger scene caught me off guard. I was caught up with so much emotion, standing there with my little babes around me. I couldn't imagine the feeling that must of been in Joseph's mind. But when you see this Pictures, you get a better idea. There is NO questions on what is happening and what is feeling at that time. With the way they depicted or protrayed Joseph watching over and understanding the magnitude of his calling. WOW!
Also, there is a Photo of John the Baptist baptising Jesus that was quite emotional. Jesus is portrayed so happy and so appreciatative of this blessing. That is my take on this photo. I love how these Photos are so PURE and yet, there is so much to them. It's a simply pictures but so mind boggeling.
Oh, there are so many others that hit me....like, Jesus healing the blind or this one shows Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane.
The Photographer, Mark Mabry, portrayed Jesus in different parts of his life, thus "REflections of Christ. There is one that Jesus is teaching people...he is in this field of long golden grass. OH, what a shot. I asked the girls, what their favorite picture was and this one was Shelby's. Lainie's was a picture that was of Angels that had just heard of the Birth of Christ. (click to watch)
I loved that EVERY photo is Framed in the most beautiful frames...they are all different sizes and styles.
I can not wait to go back, when I can stay so much longer. (by myself)
For those of you that can't make it to the Mesa LDS Temple...here is a little link to some of the behind the scenes work. You do get a glimpse of about 8 of the many photos.
One last thing...I love seeing the scriptures and stories that we have all heard come to life in a Photo. I just felt like for a few minutes, standing in that room, I was able to take a peek back in time and witness something AMAZING.
OH, and tell me if the man that portrays Christ doesn't looks just the way you imagine him to look!

5 comments:

stacy said...

we were going to go on the opening night with the kuhnis and it didn't happen and we were going to go last night and that didn't happen either. hahaha! i would love to go it sounds amazing. ashleys sister is in the ten vergins shot. thanks for the link that is the first little glimps that i have gotten of these. :)

Goodrich said...

Thank you so much for that, it was amazing. I would love to see it in real life. What an amazing feelind you receive from watching how and where. Thanks again. Love you

fivewheeler said...

Reynolds,
Incredible stuff. I just watched a bunch of the behind the scenes stuff and the only thing that makes me mad is that I can't see it for myself. Awesome.

Crazy Momma said...

You are a beautiful person Rennie and I'm blessed just to have you in my life thanks for the inspiration

ME said...

I FINALLY saw this. It is truly awe-inspiring. I can't wait to go back myself & I hope that they make some of these available to the public someday. The man that portrays Christ is just as awesome in person as he looks in those pictures! Also, we just found out last night that the other Savior in the Pageant - sorry world, but there's 2 - was born & raised in La'eia. CRAZY!