Saturday, September 20, 2008

Worlds Largest

Ever wonder why Tucson is such a dark city?
I did..but found out!
Read on to hear about our trip there.
Since we have been here, I keep hearing about this place I "have to take my kids". It is a peak that is about 1.5 hour north of our home. I heard that it has many different telescopes and it's pretty neat.
SO, we packed up the car and headed out on our little adventure.
Once we reach the top....this was far beyond what my imagination had pictured. It was amazing, beautiful and so much fun for all of us.
We came in contact with, I don't know, maybe 25 or more telescopes
(the worlds largest collection)
Also, the worlds largest Solar Telescope. The Scientists are able to study the sun with this one, it's huge and amazing. It actually extends underground quite a distant.
While at the top we were able to go inside many of the buildings...of course they have viewing platforms so nothing gets jacked up.
I can just see it.....
"oops, my little 2 year old just moved this lever slightly, and something in the sky just exploded"
(Gasp)
We made our way to the top around lunch and were so happy to see a little shack with the yummiest Indian Tacos, fried bread, bean burritos in fried bread, being made. This Observatory is right in the middle of the Tohono O'odham Nation ...so it has so many different wonderful Indian influences....like scrumpious food.
Talk about BREAD OVERLOAD!
Also, it was about 15+ degrees cooler than home.
If your ever in Tucson area and need something fun, exciting and educational to do...take a drive to Kitt Peak.

5 comments:

saskia said...

gulp, you read my blog... sometimes I'm too honest and open on it!

emily said...

Ok, first of all that food on the slide show looks so delicious!! I can't believe how big our babies are getting! Wait.... does that mean we are getting big too?? Nah.
Miss yunz!

loriallen said...

That sounds so totally awesome! I am a bit jealous, I do have to admit....righteously jealous...is there such a thing! I'm going to put that on a place to see! You can thank your 2 year old for not blowing up something in the sky!

MaMa eNCHaNTeD said...

Hey Rennie, I just got on facebook and found Karson, read his blog and there you were. I hope you don't mind if I put a link to you on mine. Sorry I missed ya when you came last time. Love ya, Andrea

Ali said...

ok, we totally need to do that with our kids - i love that kind of stuff!