Monday, September 8, 2008

hush hush, we no talky about that!

Why is it that when it comes to Politics most people won't say who they are voting for?
I never understood the whole secret in all of this. You believe something or you stand for something, so why isn't it talked about?

I was watching an interview the other night on TV and the host asked the guest "who you voting for?" The response was "I am not telling you."

WHY?

I understand that "I" might not agree with ALL of what McCain & Palin might stand for...but for me it is more of what I agree with than the Democrats. Even McCain, I feel has an underlying agenda...but, again, more of what I believe falls within his platform.
So....
Can anyone explain the secretiveness of the whole voting/political scene?
If you feel it's too much of a secret to explain your opinion...can you explain that?

11 comments:

Jackie said...

Okay Ren~ Now I am really freaking out! I just read your newest post. I have to say I wonder the same thing all the time. I always feel like I shouldn't say who I'm voting for because it might cause an argument or something. Well I think after watching Sarah Palin last week I learned alot. I have talked to a few people now and even though I think they have a hidden agenda as everyone does. I really felt like she had what we needed. I am no expert on politics by any means, which may also be the answer to why I don't jump out and yell who I am voting for because I am unsure if its the right thing or not. But I am learnng more each day. We need to speak up I think. I am interested in what others on your blog might have to say?

laceeJ said...

sometimes lack of spine disease?!?! :) To me it's simple, black & white... GO MCCAIN/PALIN! I sometimes over-do it on the "letting everyone else around me know who I'm voting for" attitude. But this is a scary election, if it falls in the wrong hands, us and our children will be feeling the consequences of so many who thought it was "cool" to vote for the democrats, cuz, well, you know the media makes them look so sexy. grrrrr......

fivewheeler said...

Ren! Interesting. I am voting for Palin and I guess McCain will come along with her. If you get my drift. Here's a question? Have you ever been in mixed political company...dems/repubs together and started a political conversation...good fun. Especially when the are a close friend. Here's another something...why do most hollywood peeps think they have a platform to degrade the one they ARE NOT voting for???? Just curious.

Unknown said...

Hello Rennie! Voting is always a very personal decision. I've come to the conclusion that we all have our own reasons for who we vote for. My 3 sisters are all democratic. They are strong in their choices. One is pro-choice. One is pro-"gay". I think they are wrong. Period. These are not arguments I'm going to have with my family. Or friends. Why discuss it any further? News commentators can't easily discuss their feelings on live T.V. It might be against the producers of the show. (That's not a wise decision for their career).
My opinion: I have to say, I'm not a FAN of McCain. Not opposed, just not a follower. But he's served our country and at least he DESERVES it more than the opponent. His running mate was an extremely wise choice. She's so likable. MAY THE BETTER MAN WIN! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

(This was way too serious for my first blog comment. Your family is adorable.)

Cambri Taylor and Macie Michele said...

I have always lived by the old saying 'never talk about politics or religion with friends/family'. By the way, I'm voting for Obama! Rock on.

Tamara said...

I am a conservative Republican....more conservative than Republican...I'm just lucky that they happen to go hand in hand. However, regardless of my political affiliation, I would NEVER vote for Obama. He wrote in his book "Dreams of My Father" the following words:
"I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites." Also from the same book, "I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race." Also, this passage, "There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white." And lastly, this quote, "It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names." And here's the quote that most fires me up, from his newest book Audacity of Hope, "I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."....talk about audacity. Yeah....this is the guy we want running our country....the one who will side with the very people who want to bring America to her knees.
And...if I could bring myself to forget the fact that this guy was and more likely than not, still is a total racist, I would still have to use my brain and take a look at the sheer logic of Obama's proposed tax changes and how it would affect mine...and every other hard-working American's bottom lines. Here are the proposed changes in taxes after the '08 General election:

CAPITAL GAINS TAX

MCCAIN

0% on home sales up to $500,000 per home (couples). McCain does not propose any change in existing home sales income tax.

OBAMA

28% on profit from ALL home sales

How does this affect you? If you sell your home and make a profit, you will pay 28% of your gain on taxes. If you are heading toward retirement and would like to down-size your home or move into a retirement community, 28% of the money you make from your home will go to taxes. This proposal will
adversely affect the elderly who are counting on the income from their homes as part of their retirement income.

DIVIDEND TAX

MCCAIN 15% (no change)

OBAMA 39.6%

How will this affect you? If you have any money invested in stock market, IRA, mutual funds, college funds, life insurance, retirement accounts, or anything that pays or reinvests dividends, you will now be paying nearly 40% of the money earned on taxes if Obama becomes president. The experts predict that 'Higher tax rates on dividends and capital gains would crash the stock market, yet do absolutely nothing to cut the deficit.'

INCOME TAX

MCCAIN (no changes)

Single making 30K - tax $4,500
Single making 50K - tax $12,500
Single making 75K - tax $18,750

Married making 60K- tax $9,000
Married making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 125K - tax $31,250

OBAMA (reversion to pre-Bush tax cuts)

Single making 30K - tax $8,400
Single making 50K - tax $14,000
Single making 75K - tax $23,250

Married making 60K - tax $16,800
Married making 75K - tax $21,000
Married making 125K - tax $38,750

Under Obama, your taxes could almost double!

INHERITANCE TAX

MCCAIN 0% (No change, Bush repealed this tax)

OBAMA Restore the inheritance tax

Many families have lost businesses, farms, ranches, and homes that have
been in their families for generations because they could not afford the inheritance tax. Those willing their assets to loved ones will only lose them to these taxes.

NEW TAXES PROPOSED BY OBAMA

New government taxes proposed on homes that are more than 2400 square feet.

New gasoline taxes (as if gas weren't high enough already)

New taxes on natural resources consumption (heating gas, water, electricity)

New taxes on retirement accounts, and last but not least....

New taxes to pay for socialized medicine so we can receive the same level of medical care as other third-world countries!!!

I could never vote for Obama knowing what I know. In fact, I could never vote for a Democratic candidate knowing what I know. I heard former Congressman Bob McEwen speak at a business conference I attended once...in fact I've heard him speak a dozen times...he's one of my favorite speakers...and a political speaker at that! Anyway...he gave a talk called Politics Easy as Pie and I bought the CD and have listened to it more times than I can count since then. You can go to You Tube and search for Politics Easy As Pie. There are 6 parts and it's a little "sketchy" in some parts because I think whoever posted it was recording it on their cell phone...but it's still well worth a listen. Since we're all going to be casting a vote that will potentially decide the direction our country takes over the next 4 years...we might as well take a few minutes to educate ourselves on what we're really voting for...rather than just who we're voting for. Anyway....it was a long two-cents...but that's just what it is...my two cents...take it or leave it!
I agree with Todd, however, about not discussing politics with friends or family. Not because I can't hold my own with someone in a political discussion. It's because that I find most people vote the way they do because somebody they know votes a particular way, or because their parents, boss, or best friends are voting that way...not because they understand at all any basis of what the different political parties stand, or dont stand, for or what happens to our country when one party controls the House or the Senate, as compared to another party. People will choose a candidate because a movie star they like endorses a particular candidate....rather than where economically and strategically that candidate and his commerades will lead our country. It is my hope that more people will actually take the time to educate themselves on how and who they vote for. Okay I'm hopping off now....nuff said.

Tammy K said...

Amen!

Crazy Momma said...

Mine is easy. I feel at peace listening to Palin/mccain... i get all itchy/wiggly in my seat when obama starts talking. I'm just a feelings based person.

Ali said...

I am so with you, I don't get it. If you ask, I'll tell you. There are very few things in life that are private, really, especially after having children, don't you agree? Whatever. I think it has to do with the whole power in control thing? Anyway, my vote goes to the Hockey Mom - she earned my vote back for McCain. I love her. She knows how to keep it real. And while I wish McCain no harm, if the "actuaries" come true, I think I would be totally ok w/ Palin as Pres. As you mentioned, lesser of 2 evils?, I would rather have Palin in office than Obama. But that's just me.

So, how are you? How's the fam?

loriallen said...

Tamara said it all for me! I don't even know her, but I like her beliefs!! Politics are what make this country go round and round so stick with your conviction if that's the way you want the country to turn. I think that the only people that could vote for Obama is the people that haven't leanred enough about him or his politics. Politics shouldn't be personal, but they make the hairs on the back of the neck stand up and a lot of people don't like that. England especially didn't like it back when. I love your question. McCain and Palin (her dad was my 5th grade teacher) is the answer for me. We all need to be educated in the facts and then stand by your convictions. Feelings are also important if they're from the right source!!!

KarsonK2 said...

I'm for Palin!

With regard to the "Celebrities" who tell people how to vote; I enjoy people for what they do. I enjoy music so I enjoy musicians music. I could care less what they think about politics (they are stoned half the time). I enjoy movies, so I enjoy actors acting. I don't give a crap what they think about politics, cause they are too dramatic about it. If Matt Damon was really Jason Bourne would he be acting like he is acting. No. Hence, when he is playing Jason Bourne he is acting (and I quite enjoy it), but leave the thinking to me Matt.

Entertainers are for entertainment and politics isn't their strong point. However, if you are interested in entertainment you should check out P. Diddy talking about Palin and Alaska. Now that's entertainment, but I don't think he was meaning to be comedic.


You gotta love it!