Wednesday, January 13, 2010

the drathers


It was a late saturday afternoon, when me and my girls were coming home from the grocery store. We decided to drive along the Pecan orchard to see what the trees were looking like this time of year. While driving past the orchard I see a group of people standing on a dirt road between the paved road I am on and the orchard it's self. That group of people sparked my interests...I immediately abort my route towards going home and recalculate my new journey....the journey is set to find out what is happening at the base of the Pecan trees.
I inform the girls of our new adventure and proceed to make our way onto the dirt road back towards the group.
As I start making a right hand turn off the rd...I am following a truck that is going quite fast.
I notice that the truck picks the first spot that it can park in, which is the farthest spot from the group of people a good 400 yds from where he parked. I had a feeling the gentleman was in a bit of a hurry because when he parked he had already opened the door and was half out of the truck. I noticed that the gentleman was Mexican and so my mind started running possibilities real quick... (because we live so close to the border, many people work as labor help here in the orchards)
MY THOUGHTS were:
-could the group of people be employees and their having a little company party?
-could this be part of their harvesting of the pecans traditions?
-could we watch them harvest or collect the nuts?

So, I proceed to watch the man exit his truck, open the back door of the truck, pick up his 3 or 4 yr old son, close the door and then notice me staring at him. I also see that he is walking really fast to join up with this group.
So, I  proceed to drive up to the side of him and his small boy as they walk quickly on the powder dirt road. Once I am side by side with them I roll the window down and say:

ME: "Hey, (with a friendly smile) what is going on down there by the orchard?"
HE: (looking at me strange like) "russing Horse "
ME: Huh?  russing Horse? what's that?
He: (looking at me like I am speaking Russian)
ME: "I don't know what russing Horse  is"
HE: (walking a bit faster and trying to escape my questions)
ME: (driving a big faster to ask more questions)
HE: (feeling trapped by my car next to him and my dumb questions) "You speaka Spanish?"
ME: (wondering if I should say I speak a little...because I wasn't sure what horse was in spanish...so would I know what russing was either?) "NO, not really"
HE: "I no speak English" (and then basically wraps his arms around his son and sprints in front of my car and out of my reach)

At this point...my mind again, started reeling on what this group could be doing:
-could it be some sort of Mexcian horse wrestling deal? Where the riding jumps from the back of the horse to wrestle the other rider? OR they have the horses wrestle?
-could they be selling horses?
-could it be barrel racing?

I started noticing horse trailers in the dirt parking lot and finally came across a cowboy riding his horse towards the group.
I had to do it..
I had to know....
so I stopped and had to ask...
"Hey there", I said to the cowboy atop his saddle "what is going on over there past the orchard?"
He smiles and says "horse racing, they are just about done"

DUH!!! was my only response as I drove away from the orchard and the group of people and the horses. duh!

I had to laugh at myself and the position that I put that poor man and his son, in...with my big SUV cornering him to telling me the secret behind the horse russing that was taking place.

My little Lainie pipes in as we are pulling from the dirt parking lot back on to the paved road...
she asks
HER: "MOM, would you drather watch a american horse race or a mexican horse race?"
ME: "Well you know, it wouldn't matter really. It would look the same and be just the same"
Her: "NO, you wouldn't understand it mom"
ME: "what do you mean, it would be the same type of race. It wouldn't matter"
HER: "yes it would...because you didn't even know what russing horse  was"

That cracked me up!
So now when we don't understand something or didn't quite hear what someone said to us...we just say in a low almost whispery voice
"russing horse ?"

No comments: