Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Could this be the reason for my moaning pants?

I have NOT tried this, YET!


But you better believe it's gonna be in my favorite recipes. Maybe it's like those sticky buns I made for Christmas morning...a once a year treat.


Oohhh, those were rich!

While I was looking for the photo on my last post I came across this recipe....it's appropriately named FAT PANTS....because you'll need them after you eat this. So here it goes...



Our Fat Pants.

Don't let the ooey, gooey, messy look of these sandwiches scare you away. They will have you and your family smiling all the way to the stove.Camping will no longer be required because these will beat any campfire s'more, anytime, anywhere! Now go get those fat pants on. You know the ones...with the giant elastic waistband...yeah those...put them on and let's get to work.



Here's what you need:

Unsalted butter,
dark brown sugar,
buttermilk bread,
marshmallows,
semisweet chocolate chips
and banana.


Health food right?


Place 3 Tablespoons of room temperature unsalted butter in a small bowl. It doesn't seem like enough does it?Add 3 Tablespoons of dark brown sugar to the butter.Mix the butter and sugar together until it looks like this.


For the bread, buttermilk is choice here. It's rich, it's BUTTERY, it's the perfect choice. A fancy, fancy loaf is not needed here, I promise.
Take 4 slices of buttermilk bread and lather them with the butter-sugar mixture. Feel free to eat a couple slices then make more.

Peel the banana and thinly slice. Place the banana slices on the unbuttered sides of the bread. Just use as many slices as you need to cover the bread. Don't skimp for gosh sakes.

Get some marshmallows and place them on a metal skewer. Hold the skewer over an open flame until the marshmallows are burnt and gooey. Take the marshmallows, about six per sandwich, and place them on top of the banana slices.

Sprinkle about a Tablespoon of chocolate chips over the bananas but under the marshmallows. Is this just unbelievable or what?

Put the tops of the bread on and make a sandwich. Press down a little. It does not matter if the marshmallows cool off a bit while you put your sandwiches together.

Melt some butter in a nonstick pan on medium-high heat.

Add your sandwich and cook until brown, about 1 minute per side.

Carefully flip over. I used two spatulas to make the turn. Marshmallow and chocolate will be oozing out the sides. You will be hyperventilating.

Cut the sandwiches diagonally and serve. Here's the best part, you can make a bunch of these ahead of time. When ready to eat microwave for 15 seconds to melt everything again. OR put them in the fridge and cover. Eat the next day. Yep, we did it. No wasting. We can't waste these.


Caramelized Chocolate, Banana, and Marshmallow Sandwiches
adapted from Bon Appetit

3 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, room temperature
3 Tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
4 slices of buttermilk
12 large marshmallows (toasted)
2 Tablespoons of semisweet chocolate chips
12-15 banana slices
*Amounts for marshmallows, and banana slices vary due to the size of bread you use.

Isn't that the most ridiculous
thing you have every seen?
in a good, yummy way!

7 comments:

saskia said...

I am so glad I don't like bananas are bread things... I mean, breads okay and all, but with bananas, bleck... yes, this is a good thing!

Lisa said...

Hey Rennie! I found your blog thru umm. . . I can't remember, but anyway, somebody you know. It is so good to see what you guys have been up to. Your kids are beautiful! BTW, I think I gained 5 lbs just from reading your last post! Sounds super yummy.

stacy said...

WOW! i'm speechless, and that NEVER happens. hahaha!

fivewheeler said...

holy crap...I felt myself getting fatter just by reading. By the way your other 2 posts are hilarious. Have you seen the commercial about the people who start to eat and then their buttons pop off...I totally relate. But I will conquer the Biggest Loser Goulding style and laugh all the way to the bank...hahahahahahaha I'll just start that laughing now.

Anonymous said...

those look yucky. (dont i sound like a 2 yr old?)
but maybe i will have to see one in real life (this weekend) @ your house....
and your killing me with your out of shape talk! ms. i-biked-100-miles!

Crazy Momma said...

looks very tempting! It's nice cause i'm already in the fat strechy pants! HA HA! It seems like a good thing to make on the new cold snowy day.

Robbie said...

Ren, oh Ren, Why do you post recipes like this? Now I've got to try it and my stretchy pant already have stretched to full capacity and the orphanage lent the last pair of XL to Nacho. Loves