Sunday, May 11, 2008

OH, my sweet little baby girl turned 8 and I can hardly believe it. I remember like it was yesterday going into the hospital to have my first child. I remember being so terrified, not really of the deliver, well that just a little. But actually my fear of the after hospital responsibilities kind of bypassed the fact that I had to birth this child. I was so afraid of accidentally hurting her...you know a poke to the eye while putting her shirt on or her getting a diaper rash (heaven forbid) or her not eating right at her 2 hour mark like the nurses told me to do, or leaving her socks on too long and having them dry her feet out or being to cold. I mean the list could go on and on, and it did. I remember the night before the delivery...being so mean and ornery. I knew I wanted this little child in my arms and I knew I loved her beyond measure, but I wanted to be locked in a house, after the hospital, and not let anyone in or out for fear of "something" happening. I had so much fear. It overtook me for a few weeks until I poked her in the eye while changing her shirt and I will never forget the look she gave me. It was the most forgiving face and it was like she understood that we were learning together. From then on out..I poked her in the eye every time I changed her shirt.....kidding! I tried to be more careful and had to surrendered to the fact that I was a beginner mother and I didn't know everything. I learned that I had to take it one day at a time. It's amazing how much a little human can teach you in just a few months. Now...EIGHT years later and she is still teaching me important things.
Just the other day she congratulated me on not yelling at her brother when he threw one the towels we had to dry off with into the pool. She said "good job mom, on not getting mad at him, you didn't even yell". I thanked her and smiled at the thought of that exchange in communication.
What a sweet child she is! She is amazingly beautiful, inside and out. She is a wonderful big sister and takes the role very seriously. I can't believe how time has flown by! The past 8 years have been such an adventure having her in our lives. I love her so much. I am so grateful to of been so blessed and loved by my Heavenly Father to have her in our family. Happy Birthday, lil Birdie!

2 comments:

Mike + Mignon said...

I love that little Birdie girl so much - I can still "hear" her being born - your mom and I gripping onto each other so tight right outside the curtain - wishing we could make it easier for you. Now 8 years later - Lainie is making it easier for you by being the angel daughter any mother would dream of. Good job Luke & Rennie!

Goodrich said...

She truly is a blessing in our lives as well. We love you and can't wait to see and "push" you all into the pool- HEHE. Happy Mother's Day