Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Christmas 2011

Christmas this year was ultra special for me.
There was an amazing Spirit that was with  me for the month of November and Dec.
Even with all the hustle and bustle of shopping, living the weeks with the children by myself. Luke still working in Mesa during the week and then coming home for Sat. and Sunday. Even with what could of been a crazy life....there was something sobering about this season.
It could of been that there was so much on my mind.

When traveling home to Utah for Thanksgiving I stopped by my cousins home and we just talked for a few hours about life and family. I was informed that she is fighting for her life. She is suffering from a SUPER rare blood disease that can be fatal. Five People in the US have this disease and she is one of them...they are on these crazy study groups and meds.  She has been fighting for her life..with the help of her family and wonderful husband. But it seems that the church/community hasn't known about her plight and so there has been no outside help. She is a teacher at the school in a small community and their should be help....but knowing my cousin the way I do. She "thinks" she can do it all by herself. (sounds familiar) Anyhow...she is strong and is going to win this battle...but it's taking a toll on her. I was amazed by the lessons that she is learning and teaching others. I am amazed by her Spirit of resilience and determination. She touched my being wtih her knowledge of the Gospel and the love that Heavenly Father has for us. She is amazing!!

While I was getting ready to leave her home...I received a text that there was an accident at one of my dear friends home back in Sahuarita. Her son had been injured and had been life flighted to the Hospital. My heart was already full  and then this just sent it overflowing with love, pain, sorrow, humility & pray. I still had an 1+ to drive with no service and it was so nerve racking not knowing what was going on back in AZ. I knew I couldn't do anything for this family and so I prayed and drove in a quiet car as my children slept. My thoughts between two families ,  my cousin and my friend. Both fighting for life!
My heart was so soft that evening! I later found out that my sweet friend had lost her son in this tragedy. He was 18 months old and went back to live with his family in Heaven. He was a doll and he was Luke's church buddy. So sad!

With this on my mind over the past few months and then to top it off...I was moving my family away from a place that we love. Nothing in comparison to the trials of my friends and family...but a thorn in our families shoes, at this time.  A place, my kids have known as home for 3 years. A place they have developed friends and talents and courage. So I have been slightly melancholy bout that as well. 

Christmas morning we decided to get the kids up early, church being at 7:30am, get dressed and then head on down the street to the Chapel. We allowed the kids to check out the tree and see if there was a gift from Santa for them. All of them found one, except Shelby, of course. IT was there...she just didn't look hard enough. 
Off we went to Church...Sacrament Only on this day. We sat there with the Spirit thick in the air. Everyone sitting there in their pews. Some barely awake, some dressed to the nines in their new church clothes...but it didn't matter...we were all there and that Spirit could hardly be choked down.
The Primary children sang a few songs for us, a few Christmas stories were read then the closing pray was given. OH...I couldn't breath during this pray. The family that had just lost their little 18 month old...the big daddy of the family offered us our closing pray. What a pray. I felt like I was sitting in Heaven. It could of been the man giving the prayer, it could of been his words, it could of been his families situation at this time, it could of been that this was our last Sunday among these wonderful people,  it could of been this time of year, it could of been all our hearts were turned the the Savior on this morning. 
I think all of thee above were in effect. 
Whatever it was...it was beautiful and set the mood for the entire day...for me!

Once we got home..we changed back into our pj's, had breakfast and got busy on opening gifts. We opened them one at a time...watching carefully as everyone opened their gifts and their reactions. We just sat there in our family room enjoying the day. Not rushed, not crazy, not sugared out (YET). We enjoyed one another and I so enjoyed this morning!

We spent the rest of the day goofing off in the house with one another, sleeping, having a wonderful Christmas/Sunday dinner around the table....and of course ending the day with a sugar high.
PERFECT!

Christmas Eve PJ's

Christmas morning!



1 comment:

Lauren and Brian Davis said...

Rennie! Love you and love this post. I felt similarly this season... just constant gratitude and love and the spirit was just there always! It was a crazy month for us as well, but some similar experiences were very sobering and reminded me of the incredible blessings I have. I think often of the Hunts... I hope their hearts are healing. They are quite an awesome family!