Friday, August 19, 2011

36 years old.

Yesterday I was 36 years old and one day.

That's right..I celebrated my 36th birthday on Wednesday and it was a great day.
My lover took the day off. We dropped mr. memphis off at a friends (thanks E.A) and then we were off.
at the movie!
We hit a few places for a few things and then of course...to the movies.
We saw "The Rise of the Planet of the Apes"...it was pretty darn good. I love watching movies and so does my man...so it was a good morning.
We then had lunch at Red Lobster and just enjoyed one another company. My love language was filled that day... QUALITY TIME!

Around 2pm we headed home for the kids and then off again to Costco for a few little things.....which always turns into more than you need. I have a love/hate relationship with that store.

Later...I got many nice phone calls, texts, a hiliarous and disturbing JibJab card from my MIL, and even got to skype my parents in Samoa.

When I woke up the following day...I was suppose to run a few miles with my sweetie...but we slept in. It felt nice, but I was feeling like I missed a chance to run.
But, I decided to hit snooze as well and run once the kids were off to school.
Let me just say...running at 8am in AZ in August (monsoon season) really just plain and simple..SUCKS!
I pushed my little Memphis boy in the stroller and came home so gross and hot. He had a ball..eating grapes, drinking water, throwing out granola bars and riding in the carriage. Anyhow, as I ran I kept thinking about a friend of mine that is doing a triathlon in a few weeks and she asked me to go with her. I really thought about it, until she said you have to swim 26 laps. That was, in itself, a good enough reason to NOT do it. Besides I am committed to something else that weekend. (wait till I post what I am doing that weekend...can't wait...so EXCITED)
Anyhow...yesterday morning I thought about all the reasons I am not thrilled with swimming 26 laps. Breathing quick short breaths in water, panicking because I didn't breath right, putting my feet down...just anxiety comes over me a bit.
My sister has asked me to try one with her as well...but the darn swim....yuck.
Once, I finished my run yesterday...I came home and just laid on the cold tile floor, pondering the whole idea of it all.
I decided today was going to be the day to face that challenge.
I walked upstairs got my little swimsuit on, packed up Mr. Memphis and off I went to the clubhouse.
I checked little guy in to the daycare for one hour and set off to see what I could do in an hour, in the pool.
When I got there...I ran into a lady I know from church. She was just leaving and informed me that she and her daughter had just swam a mile. WHAT!!! It's about 66 laps. I told her I was going to shoot for 6 laps. In my mind...I went to see if I could swim those 26 laps, but didn't want to be accountable to her later...so I kept it to myself.
What if I didn't finish 26?  What if I didn't finish 16 or 10? 
I knew I would have to stop between laps to catch my breath...but I was going to get 26 laps in before my hour ended. I know that's a long time ...but I just didn't know what to expect.

Once I got in..I swam 4 laps and was huffing and puffing pretty good by the end of just a few minutes. While I tried to catch my breath and regroup my mind around how this might be harder than I think...an elderly man, that had been swimmming  caught my attention with a few casual questions.
Over the next 15 minutes, he ended up teaching me a few skills that saved my bacon. He told me he had swam for years and then informed me of how to kick properly and breath a certain way so my legs don't drag me down.
Let me tell you...once I started focusing on those few tips...I was feeling so much more comfortable. Still working hard on catching my breath...but I got to 20 laps and felt good. I looked at my time and realized I had 15 minutes left. So I had to do 6 more laps to get those 26 laps in.
I swam 6 more and felt good.
Then I looked at my watch and saw I had 8 minutes more...so I thought
 "go to 30...just an nice even number".
So I put the goggles back on and did 4 more laps. Then I thought
"do 6 more laps to represent your new age".
SO...I did!
I did 36 laps.
Then...I looked at my time and was over by 3 minutes....but something inside me said
"beat your age"
So I did 2 more laps to show myself that my age is not me!
NOW, listen...I stopped between almost every lap to center myself...but...I did it!

I am a freak, I know!
But, I am proud of my freakiness, and that I accomplished something that kind-of scared me. I wasn't afraid of drowning, I knew I could put my feet down at any time. But what is scary to me is not doing something super good and trying something that might make me look like a fool.
Why do I let things like that discourage me so?
(shrugged shoulders here)

I am proud to be 36 years old.
MAN...that number looks like such an old number...but I don't feel it!
I guess, then, it's not an old number.

I am excited to give swimming another try, next week!

1 comment:

Cherie said...

I'd rather swim any day than run. I've always been tempted to attempt a triathalon (or a mini one) because I know I can swim and bike. It's the running that scares me!

Figure out a way to sneak me in to the pool and I will come swim laps with you! That would be awesome.