I hate going to dentists. When I go there I feel so ashamed and like such a failure. I know that seems strange.
And also, might i add, dentists are a super forward and yet so controlling type of person.
I mean what type of person gets right up in your grill only to stare into your eyes, mouth and nose hair to ask you questions that you totally can't answer because your mouth has 3 hands in it?
Who does that?
I would say someone that wants all the control. They want to chat and ask about your weekend and your parents and then know that they have the control to answer it for you. Or try to make out the answers with the strange noises you make. IT's all about control I say! Control!
Dentist are so scary and uncomfortable to me. I feel like I have failed them when i go there and they find a cavity or a chipped tooth. I don't even really know these people, but for some reason I feel like a small child being scolded by their parent when the report comes back that I haven't flossed properly or brush up and down perfectly.
I went to the dentist last month for the first time in 3 years. I had to go there because while eating my favorite snack food, Carmel popcorn, I got a small piece stuck between the back two teeth. While flossing one night I pulled part of an old filling out. I had this smallish hole way back in the north forty of the mouth. I called and made an appointment and tried for the next week to show a brave face for my kids to see....only freaking out inside because I just don't, and really have never liked the dentists office.
Finally the day came and I headed into the office being overly excited to try and sike myself out and pretend I was happy to be there. The Dentist that I was seeing is super nice and reminds me a bit of my own dad. He is happy one minute and then in a flash can seem a little put out by the assistant not having the right tool in his hand at the precise moment. He would hoe and hum as his hand was reached out for "suction" or "drill" and it not be there ready to use. That did make for a bit of entertainment and took my mind off what was actually happening in my mouth.
Finally after the first evaluation was complete the verdict came back that it wasn't a dang filling missing it was just a tooth gone bad. I felt so small and so childish when he informed me that my tooth basically just caved in and he would have to fill it. He wasn't telling me in a way that was overbearing. In fact he put his hands together in a praying manner and then bent over ever so slightly like he was bowing to me. His eyebrows would crumpled together a bit like they were expressing their own amount of sympathy. Maybe this whole display of tenderness happened because he knew what was coming for me.
He proceeded to drill and drill and drill my tooth, till it was decay free and then filled it with a big glob of silver. I have in the past had other fillings replaced with this wonderful clean looking white product. I feel it just looks better...but he informed me that silver works better for back teeth. So in addition to having a sucky cavity now I have this nasty silver filling in the back of my mouth. I feel like I should be wearing a big red C on my chest.
Why is it that even when I was younger and had a cavity it was and is like I feel I have done something so wrong?
when you have a sore throat you see the doctor, right? RIGHT!
when you have a bad back you see the Chiro, correct? OH YeS!
when you have an infection you see they gyno? you know that's right!
and all those different docs don't make me feel anything like I feel when I see the dang dentist. Is it the fact that I can't talk back to him and explain my failures in my teeth maintenance? Is it the fact that he is so much in my comfort zone and just about kissing me that I feel so weirded out? Could it be that it was something that I did or didn't do that caused me to have to see him. Could it be the smell of the office? could it be the taste of the horrible mouth rinse they use...or that weird spit cup that sucks your lips down into it while you spit?
Dentist...hmmmm?
I hope to never go back!
3 comments:
Really? I do get you. I do! Sometimes you just want to grab hold of that little twisted mirror or head shaking drill, pull it out of your mouth and say...I brush twice a day, floss everyday....just to clarify and seriously if you ask me one more question while you've got me bound and gagged I will shove the cute little toothbrush you're going to give me right down your.....(clearing throat, gathering myself) maybe just going in with that attitude makes them see you now one to be messed with! Just a thought.
Ren,
Completely understand; however, I would rather suffer the uncomfortableness of seeing the dentist than having the pain like last weekend. Not only that but this dentist that I have as well as the specialist I saw made me feel more comfortable than dentists we saw as children. That probably helps, not going to the same dentist as a child. Pain or discomfort- I choose discomfort of Dentists!
Love ya- By the way Ammon asked when we could go down and see aunt Ren today. Alex is mad that we won't get to see little Memphis until Nov. ME TOO!!!!
Okay...now you're skatin' on thin ice girly! That DENTIST is my OLDEST friend (literally)and I adore him...you can't go around mimicking him in your BLOG...now in PERSON, yeah!...like Lukey does...but NOT in your BLOG! What if he read it someday...he KNOWS who you are and he KNOWS where you live. Now, say you're sorry and I won't tell him to use water instead of anesthetic next time!
Post a Comment