Saturday, May 16, 2009

Home Sweet Home (and I mean sweet)

If was brought to my attention that we might have a bee hive on the side of our house...so Luke and I of course scoped it out and saw a cluster of bees on the side of the house about 12 inches long by 6 inches tall. They were all clumped together and it was looking like something serious.


The next evening I came home to a garage full of bees and knew something wasn't exactly right. I hurried and turned off the garage light hoping they would find their way home by morning....but when I woke up and poked my head out...they were all dead on the floor of the garage.


When the sun rose and normal business people were awake and in the office the phone call was made to the appropriate people and before I knew it the Bee Busters were a knockin on my door. The gentleman mentioned that we had a pretty bad bee problem, so bad that the honey and wax were oozing (he used that word) oozing out of the bottom of the house on the exterior of the garage. I knew that they were on the exterior of the garage but had no idea the actual hive and comb were in between the drywall of the garage and exterior wall. The gentleman (Johnny) told me he was going to have to cut a hole in the drywall and get it all out. I just had no idea what to expect until he told me to come check it out. To my surprise I saw 4 sleeve type honey combs hanging from the top of the wall...they were roughly the length of my arm. Johnny said it was just over 30 lbs of honey/comb/bee eggs (just getting ready to hatch) & hive sitting there in the wall.

My mouth literally dropped open. I just couldn't believe my bee loving eyes.

Unfortunately the comb was full of eggs and not use able. I asked Johnny why the bees were dead from the night before and he said that when I turned off the light they couldn't find their way home and got lost...they literally fly around the garage until they dropped dead of exhaustion. I AM a bee KILLER! (and proud of it in this case)


I think our house is cursed. This is the same corner of the garage we just had black mold removed from....not but 2 months ago.

10 comments:

dustin and amy said...

I can not believe that! How in the heck did they get in there. That's pretty crazy but I would take your bee problem over my scorpion problem any day!

laceeJ said...

I heard honeybees were getting scarce in numbers. Too bad they couldn't have transplanted the beehives to an orchard or something...or were you really running your 2nd business in your garage? ;)

Lauren and Brian Davis said...

dang... ren that's definitely worse than our bee problem! how hilarious... seriously us hallows are just tooo sweet.

we are definitely going to the reunion. we'll be getting there friday afternoon and leaving sunday night! so we'll be seeing you shortly.

saskia said...

that's crazy!

emily said...

Holy bee wax batman!!! This looks serious!!!! I can't believe that! Amazing!

Crazy Momma said...

holy moly! that scares me I'm glad you are a bee killer too. Stay safe lady

weaverfam said...

One word...

WOW!

that is pretty amazing.

We just rewatched the BEE Movie last night :)

ME said...

Yeah pictures! Still can't believe that story. You guys always have the craziest stories to tell. Kind of like being sick for months in South Carolina due to black mold in your room...

Anonymous said...

wowee! see you guys this weekend...just don't bring any bees with ya.

loriallen said...

I am suffeceintlt grossed out! But I do have to say that the word "Honey" just makes me want to make a PB and Honey sandwich. Can I use some of yours?