Saturday, May 9, 2009

What a DRAG!

Hi, my name is Rennie and I am a recovering complainer.


I have a new goal in life and it's to go one conversation, one action or even harder yet....one thought without complaining.


I have noticed lately or maybe it's always been this way, and now just noticed it...but when people ask me "how are you?" I find myself running down the yearly pains and aches of my life, the monthly checkbook issues, the kids daily messes that I have cleaned up.

What a DRAG!

I recently read an entry from NieNie that opened my eyes to my unappreciatedness
(can that be a word today?)
It hit me that I need to find a new love for things that I do every day. I have such a tendency to complain in my brain about things like doing dishes, laundry, giving baths, vacuuming the house and all those things that occupy my life. When I read this entry it reads about how she was so happy that she could just pick up her son while sitting on the couch. She was pleased that she could make lunch. I understand that she has gone through a tragic accident in life and is recovering beautifully....but where has the JOY in the simply things gone for ME?

I do love my children so much, it's not about them.
This complaining thing is about ME and my unwillingness to see that silver lining.
well, it's gotta stop.
So many times I will hang up the phone from talking to a sister or friend and think...."was their anything positive in that conversation that came from my side of the phone?" I can scarcely think of one.

What a DRAG, I say!

Well, I am recovering and I say that because just like any other negative or non pleasurable thing...complaining is easy and so so addictive.
Happiness is a CHOICE. Happiness takes work. Happiness is something that you create. I know happiness is around me everywhere, I totally get that. And, I am a happy person...but as of late....I have made many efforts in looking past the happy and seeing the negative.

Again I say...WHat A DRAG!

Things look brighter today...things feel lighter today....I feel Mightier today!

4 comments:

fivewheeler said...

Ren, good girl. I think I'll join you in seeing the cup half full. But I think you might be being a little hard on yourself since you are usually the eteranl optimist. Love you and I can't wait to see the Arizona Appaloosas here in a few weeks. Let the games begin!!

Jackie said...

Your a great gal Ren, I sure don't think you were a drap back in the day. You were so positive. Although, I do agree that it can feel like a drag sometimes in our Older Age Days.. Keep your head up we have much to be grateful for right now in our lives..
Love ya and miss ya so much
Jackie

p.s. I'm sure your being a little hard on yourself as your little Sis said too...

loriallen said...

YOu can't just cover it up by saying "I am just venting?" HOw about sweeping it under the rug until you blow up and run through the house bawling and screaming profanities? What has this world come to? In all seriousness-Listen to some uplifting music. That helps me! I read NieNie's blog and love it. I love that she says she surrounds herself with happy and beautiful things. Remember that. What would you have to complain about the you did that? Your kids are beautiful, so are you....

Harmony said...

You are awesome Rennie! I really never saw you as a complainer, but it sure makes me think about all the conversations I've had with you and you're right, I can't think of anything positive I've said. I can hop on board with you, so thanks for your inspirational blog entry. :)