I had been racking my brain trying to think of some of the old movies I used to watch when I was younger and a few came to mind. I thought it would be fun to get some of them for my kids and see what they thought of the oldies. I wanted to be super careful because I normally don't let the kids watch PG unless I am sitting there with them and have watched it before.
The one I received today was one that I watched long ago and just loved because of the fun the two people had. I remember thinking I wish I lived in that house and had all those things. So tonight I popped in 

"The Toy" and watched it with the kids. WOW...that one is foul and the only fun part is about 15 minutes long out of the entire thing. I ended up turning it off and vowing to return it tomorrow never to have it return again.
After all the kids were in bed I started thinking of movies I watched and how the heck did I get away with watching them. My parents were strict on movies...so how did I get some of these watched?
One was....Goonies. This was something I watched numerous times and loved it. I found it in the $5 bin at thee ol' wally's world and bought it for the family. We popped it in and watched it..holy smokes...it has terrible language. It has since been retired.
Grease was something I remember watching and so enjoyed! I remember thinking that they smoked a lot in it but I hadn't watched it for some time so sat down with the kids to reminisce. After that I made a packed to keep that one clear of the house. Man, that one just about made me blush.
Gremlins is just plan freaky.
The Never Ending story...can go in the same category as Gremlins.
(sorry mel, it scared the ba-jibbies out of me) What was that thing..some sort of flying dog/squirrel/ferret?
ET was cute and we all loved m&M's because of it...but it freaked me out too.
Footloose is forever a classic at my house...but again...so much adult stuff in it. But dang if Kevin Bacon isn't a dream in that one!
Ferris Buller's Day Off...well that's just a great movie, but probably not for the kids.
Sixteen Candles....come on...really PG? I just cant buy that for a dollar. That has so much junk in it!
Can you remember some you watched back in the day, but NOw forbid it?
8 comments:
I know all about this one "oh, you guys will love this movie, I watched it as a kid" then you watch it- Like weird science- and you're going, uh oh- um, er, guess it isn't pg
Seriously, I think the only movie that is good in your family's likings is "Oh brother, where art thou!" ha ha
You are speakin' to the masses here babe. For reals, how did we watch this stuff. I just think there were less movies back then and our parents didn't have Disney channel to keep the kids busy while they could have a moment to themselves. But when I get into this rut, I have to turn to my Grandparents good ol' musicals. My recommendations are Singin' in the Rain (at least the funny singing parts), On the Town (Jean Kelly, again) or White Christmas (for Christmas, of course).
I LAUGH when I hear how ratings are sliding & letting more things in! As your evidence shows it was WAY worse back in the day. I love the old Christmas movies. Nice how Frosty convinces the little girl to runaway on a train - "as long as I'm home by dark" she says - without asking premission. Plus, he's smoking a pipe the entire time & they don't have $$ for a train ticket, so they sneak onto the train. How is that a good example?
I had this same convo with John the other day. Don't know why or how, but SERIOUSLY PG? All you named were the ones we thought of...
So I have been behind on reading posts and I just saw your good news! HOW EXCITING!!! Boys are in the water :)
we forget now ratings are on language not sex content and most times the sex content is worse. I hear ya!
All of those same ones, I can't believe it. The funny thing is we've had all the older disney ones with Kurt Russell and them and the kids love them. (The computer wore tennis shoes, the strongest man in the world, the barefoot executive, the old flubber, all of those are great and the kids think they are hilarious) Cute blog by the way.
Post a Comment