Tuesday, December 9, 2008

To give or not to give, is it a question?


I am torn when it comes to "gift giving" at Christmastime. My sister posted something the other day on her blog about a lady trying to go gift less this year. I don't remember the reason why she had decided this. Whether it was the economy or the thought of Christmas being about gifts and not Christ.
This has brought some thought to thee ol' noggin and I have been wondering where do I draw the line between it being about Santa and giving gifts and CHRISTmas and giving gifts.
I know people say that society has made Christmas about "gifts and things and money".
But then there is this part of me that knows that Christ gave us all a gift.
So, where does that line go?
Maybe it's all in the heart and the Spirit that the gift is given.
OR maybe it's just NOT giving a gift at all.

I love to celebrate Christmas. I love to give people things that let them know I love them and am thinking about them. I love to give Christmas Cards and plates of goodies to the neighbors. I love to see their faces when you take them something and they didn't expect it at all. That's make my day.

I remember as a child, we would do the 12 days of Christmas to a family that was in need. What a wonderful wonderful lesson in charity my parents taught us. When we did the 12 days of Christmas it was a gift left on the families front door, anonymously. I loved the thought of the family not knowing where the gift came from, but needing it and being so grateful. The families would never chase us or find out who we were...they would open the door and graciously except our offering. This is defiantly a tradition I want my kids to know.

Well with all this said I want to hear your opinions on Gift Giving during the Holidays.
Do you like the idea of giving gifts?
Does it Stress you out?
Do you wish everyone in your family would agree to a gift less holiday?

Do you love to give gifts and if so...what kind makes you happy to give?

Let me know.

6 comments:

saskia said...

Do you like the idea of giving gifts? of course

Does it Stress you out? Christmas always stresses me out

Do you wish everyone in your family would agree to a gift less holiday? my family does not give gifts, there are 10 kids- my mom gives stuff sometimes, she's never been into giving gifts for anything though, she's more into it now

Do you love to give gifts and if so...what kind makes you happy to give? I love to give gifts, but the gift of love, friendship, appreciation, pick me ups, are my favorite. just the "you are important to me"

KarsonK2 said...

Yes I do like to give gifts. It helps me to be more able to focus on the needs of others. I tend to be egocentric, but giving, service, and being thoughtful help me to be more of who I am meant to be.

Giving does not stress me out. It actually brings relief and peace to me.

No, I don't wish that everyone in the family would go "gift-less". Even if there were no money for store bought gifts I would want to be able to give something of myself through service or sacrifice.

I do love to give gifts. I love giving to my wife and children, family and friends; but I feel the best about giving when I give with my family to someone who needs and I can have the opportunity act as a teaching agent for my children. When they light up with the joy of giving, we become the recipients of the blessings of God.

laceeJ said...

How about this...I get SO ANNOYED when people give everyone in their family their "want list" when they are too old for santa. It's like, "I expect this, I expect that." THAT is not CHRISTmas! I used to stress myself out doing neighbor gifts, but our neighborhood agreed instead of doing gifts, then donate to a charity or DI, so that takes the load off:) However, Dave & I like to find a family to give to each Christmas. We tried to remember past christmases where we didn't give to another family, and gave to each other, and we couldn't remember what we gave or what we received. So what's the point of that? However, we always remember what we did for others in need during the season. I think that's what CHRISTmas is about :)

fivewheeler said...

Ok, let me give the background about "going giftless" The woman was talking about giftless for extended family and friends. I will admit when I first listened to her I said a big "heck yes" in my head. But as I took time to really think about Christmas and about my take on giving my opinion has changed a little. Maybe its my personality but I don't want to leave anyone out and that does cause me a smidge of anxiety. I would love to give to everyone all the great things in my head whether it be service, a hand-made gift or from the store but then reality sets in and I don't have the time or money. I don't want to just give something for the sake of crossing them off my list. I want to see the look on their face that says "Helayna loves me or she really thought about me" my belief is why not say it? so my new opinion...give if it makes you feel good, if it makes them feel good but does it have to be a tangible toy? NO. There is a community here in Utah that has a block party instead of neighbors gifts and I loved the idea. Bring a treat, Rub shoulders with eachother and wish them a Merry Christmas.
P.S. Ren I do remember one time during the 12 days we had a families dog that tried to find out who we were....hiding under a flat bed trailer ring any bells?

saskia said...

well, my extended family is pretty much giftless, i don't expect anything from them, they have their own families. Like I said, imagine 9 siblings, their spouses, nieces, nephews etc. then you add my spouses family, then my mom, then my in laws, that's downright expensive or a lot of work! If I can give, I will, but it has never bothered me when I don't. I have my own children to get gifts for and they wouldn't want anything anyway... except maybe my mom...

saskia said...

oh, I forgot, I'm not counting the non-bio siblings...