Thursday, March 27, 2008

Where did all the WORDS go?

I love music and believe that life could be better and much more interesting if there was always a little background music.


Can you imagine running down the road trying to get your exercise in for the day or riding your bike and out of no where the Rocky song comes on.

OR you know that song that is played in the first part of the movie of Pretty in Pink while Andy is getting ready for school. Can you imagine getting ready to that song every morning?

OR when your child cleans their room after you have asked only once and from the roof top of your home you hear...Hallelujah.

This is all fine and dandy and even fun to imagine. I think if we could listen to "I am a Child of God" through out the day. The World might be a better place.


However, lately I am struggling with this idea that some people are having this happen and it's possibly not the right time for their glory song. Here are a few example of what I mean. I have noticed this trend of people wearing their IPOD everywhere and at all times. The following stories are true!

I walked into a shoe store a month or so ago and was greeted by the gentleman that was working at the store. He had his little name tag on and was for sure an employee. He walks up to me with his earplugs in and his white cable dangling from his ears down into his shirt. He asks, "can I help you?" He was talking loud and so I wasn't sure if he couldn't hear me due to music that was playing in his head or the plugs keeping him from hearing. I wasn't impressed with this customer service that I received. But, unfortunately, I think that Customer Service doesn't really exist anymore. It's more like the customers are bugging me Service. I asked the man, "can you hear me with those in?" He actually said "What?". I turned and left the store. What was his background music at that time?


The next time I came across a ear plugged ipod listener was in a mail store. NOT the post office, but one of those stores that are .10 cents more expensive, with everthing you purchas, but is much more convenient because it's in the entrance of Walmart. Again, this is not a joke. I walked in to mail some letters and the only person helping customers was this cute young girl, with her ipod plugged in her head. They weren't hangin there from her neck...but actually in her ears. I was wondering after I left, if my mail got sent to Washington DC rather than Washington Utah. The thing that bugged me the most was the fact that the manager was standing there next to her, and didn't say a word. I can only imagine what her life's background music was?


What happened to professionalism while at work?
Last story I promise...

While my husband and I were walking in a restaurant I noticed this family of 3 sitting there having a meal. I noticed the mom and DAd talking and then I glanced real quick over to the young man sitting there with them. I was shocked to see him plugged in and tuned out. The conversation was not including him, I am sure by his choice and the parents didn't seem to care much either. What was this kids background music?


NOw, don't get me wrong. I have an ipod and I listen to it while riding my bike or working on my computer, late at night when the kids are in bed. I LOVE music and would choose to listen to it rather than talk, most of the time. I just have found lately that we are losing the gift of conversation and it makes me sad.

If any of you have a story to share about a run in with an IPOD user....let's hear it. Your run in might of been with me, the other day while I was riding my bike and almost got ran over by a car. I was listening to what might of been my background music.

10 comments:

fivewheeler said...

"i love technology" just ask kip. I heard the other day someone was attending the temple and looked over to a young gal who happened to be text messaging from her cell phone in the middle of the session. Nice. I believe that technology may aid in helping us gain info or "get dumber and dumber"...see what I mean. By the way my background music is...i'll get back to you.

Addie Gaylord said...

I love your post! I would love to have music play to motivate or inspire us in the background of our lives but I also am right there with you about the negative side as well.

laceeJ said...

Wow! texting in the temple! What the crap! Here's a funny fact. In England, they have put foam around the light posts along the sidewalks because people text so much and don't watch where they're walking and slam themselves right into posts. There have been many injuries so they decided to bubble wrap posts. stupid people! They should text while they're driving like I do to avoid those posts! he he

Ali said...

R - you should totally submit this blog editorial to a newspaper - it is SO TRUE!!! I can't tell you how many times I have almost been run off the road by people on the phone, with earplugs in or texting while driving. And I'll tell you what, if they ever do run me off the road and it results in the injury of my children - I will personally hunt them down and... One thing Jared & I have noticed WAY TOO OFTEN while on a date, is a young couple on a "date" but each of them are texting (under the table no less) instead of talking. SO SAD! And you have just made me distinctly aware of how much nicer you are than me, because if someone is supposed to be helping me and they have earplugs in, I WILL remove the earplugs for them. :) P.S. - yeah, what the heck? I haven't seen you for ages neighbor!

Crazy Momma said...

I think if my mosic came from the heavens rather than the ear buds I would be an amazing person. I love to talk and have random conversations with strangers all the time I have not had a run in with an ear bud user sorry. If you like to think about the music just out there playing I have a fun show for you. watch Eli Stone on abc thursday nights he has great background music and the funny thing is he's the only one that hears it only with out ear buds ;)

Anonymous said...

funny....i was just thinking of this the other day while i was running/jogging/dying. i have to use jacksons ipod....which is so big by the way and i thought to myself "i wish i could just hear music" that would be cool!

dustin and amy said...

You are right on the money about this one, I agree with you 100%! I love to hear how your mind works, you always make me smile!

Goodrich said...

Well here is one about texting, not ipods. The other day while I was at work a young girl said the reason she loves texting is because you can say so much with it. WHAT THE CRAP!!! I think I get quite a bit out of hearing the persons voice and feeling their expression in what is said, not by something I read.

Mortensen Family said...

Hi rennie! this is Fawn- I met you at your SIL's house last year at her vinyl party. We are related through the Goulding side... anyway, I just found your blog and thought I'd stop in to say hello! how have you been? You have a beautiful family! I have a blog too, so stop in when you have a minute! talk to you soon!

Addie Gaylord said...

hey, today stopped at a red light i saw a family(?) of four hop off the bus and wait at the light for their turn to cross. Three out of four of the family members had head phones on , the two daughters and the dad. What was even funnier was the mom was talking/yelling at her husband. I thought of you and your post.