Indulge me if you will...and let me write a few thoughts about my cousin, HOLLY!
I would say she is by far my closest cousin. We are only 1 month apart in age and we have grown up together. She grew up in a small town only 1 hour from me. I would visit her as often as I could when I was younger. We would jump on the trampoline, take walks, play dolls, play house, fight like sisters and then be best friends again. I have 3 other girl cousins that are only a matter of months difference in age, and love them...but they lived a bit farther away, therefore we weren't as close.
Once we got older our schools sports teams would play against each other. Whatever sport I played, Holly played. Not that she was being like me...but we were interested in the same thing. We played Vball, Basketball, Softball and even track. We would have a blast playing against each other. Both being super competitive there were maybe 2 or 3 times we would go away...ticked that the other team won. But more than not...we were hugging after the game congratulating one another on a job well done. My Junior and Senior year our Basketball team ended up playing Holly's basketball team in the State Finals. They won one and then my Senior Year...we won!
We of course...played every summer together for a week or so. She would come to my house and stay or me to hers. I loved going to her home.
Once while staying a week at her home in a small little town in Utah we asked my Aunt if we could stay out later than normal. My Aunt said she really didn't want us to....but if we had to "please don't sneak out the windows...just go out the front door." Of course we did just what my Aunt requested and marched out the front door after dark only to cross the road, heart attack her boyfriends car and run back to the safety of her home. We were scaredy cats!
Another time while staying at her home...which might, now that I think about it been the same visit. I tried to piece my own ear with an ice cube and a needle. Knowing full well my parents disapproval and the scorn I might face at home if I was successful. LUCKILY...scared again....I failed in my attempt.
I found a love for THE JETTS at Holly's home. She always had the best music and I remember listening to this album (cassette) numerous times and just dancing our hearts out.
She is an amazing singer and would always tolerate me singing by her side at her mom's piano. Our favorite little song that we sang ALL THE TIME WAS......"Catch a falling Star and Put it in your pocket". We tried our hardest to harmonize this song. Anyhow...another commonality is that we both LOVE music.
When we got older we both found ourselves attending the same college. We found a nice apartment and became roomies. We stayed in the same room and loved it. Let me say...she had so many clothes.
During this time we went through a friend passing on. This was a important time for me and she was such a good person to help me with that. She put things into perspective when I had questions. She met my future husband during college and liked him for me.
We were very different in so many ways....and then so much alike at the same time. I always joked that she was the thrilly, ruffly girl and I was NOT. She would curl her hair everyday, wear perfume and jewelry like a girl would. ME...I would put the hair in a ponytail, put deodorant on and maybe a ring or a beaded necklace that only a hippy loving mom would love.
BUT...we still loved loved loved each other.
She was in Choir and I was in the Symphonic Band. We were able to play/Sing in the Messiah together on numerous occasions. I got wise and join the Choir with her..but of course we sang different parts so didn't sit by one another.
We had a bad parting in college that led to us not speaking for over a month. It kills me that this ever happened. I remember talking to her on the phone and one of us hung up on the other one..and that started our distance for over 30 something days...which was just not right for us! But...like family...we made our way back to one another.
Holly did a few things that I am jealous of. She lived out a few of my dreams that I didn't have the guts to do. She worked as a nanny back east and she served a mission in the craziest spot...Bolivia. I am not jealous of the location that she got picked to serve in...but the mission part. I too received my mission call to New Jersey...which could of been just as scary...(NOT REALLY). But I made a choice at that time in my life that has blessed me for Eternity. I chose marriage. I am not sad about my decision to get married...when I say I am jealous of her mission. I am just saying...having the experience would of been so unique and wonderful. ANYHOW...
Once she got back from her mission she married the love of her life and had babies and they are all beautiful. We have been over taken by our lives as mothers, wives and citizens and only get to see one another at family reunions, occasional run ins when I go home to visit family, or just by chance. I miss her badly.
Over the past few months my parents have kept me updated on my sweet Cousin Holly. She was passing out just out of the blue. She went to the doctor and was told that she has a very rare blood disease. I guess it's something like...her blood doesn't pass correctly through her arteries, which causes lesions in them.
It's reached her brain and is at the point where she is in danger.
I didn't know all of this.
I am disgusted that I haven't kept in better contact with her over the past few years.
My mom informed me that they have been doing heavy dosages of Chemotherapy and it's not helped much. I am sure there is so much to this story that I don't know about and I hope to get up to date from her next week.
I have been thinking about her a great deal lately. I have tried texting her, called her a few times, texted her sister and mom for information. Her mommy told me some details and told me to call her. So I tried again...but she wouldn't return my calls. I was sure she was so involved in life that she was just sick of discussing this part of it with people and didn't want to go there with me.
This very morning I slid out of bed and had this thought "CALL HOLLY!" I knew I had to get my kids off to school and then I would focus on calling her. In the middle of getting my last child off to school I made a comment to her...."Please, don't wake up Memphis, I need to call my cousin and I want it to be quiet". Lainie asked my why and I explained I hadn't talked to her in a while and she's sick. While we were talking, I heard my phone ring a warning of a text message. I ignored it till I could get her out the door. Once she left the message kept ringing...so I read it.
"I heard from the Dr. tonight. First let me say thank you everyone for all of your prayers in my behalf and for fasting for me and my family. I have truly felt the comfort of the Lord this week and I know that is because of all your faith!
I got the best news I could hope for, so all those prayers are working. The disease is very active and aggressive; the CT scan confirmed it is creating new lesions in the arteries in my brain. However, my Dr. feels with an aggressive approach its still possible to slow it down and even regain control and stop it. That's good news, meaning remission is still a possibility for me and I don't have to do any surgery yet.
Another blessing is Dr. O has agreed to monitor my IV infusions here. That is huge! I feel very blessed and thankful for his willingness to take me on and treat me here. I know he has a good relationship with our family, and for that I thank All of you again. I have no doubt his willingness to make this happen for me is because of the prayers."
It was a forward from my Aunt, written by Holly.
I replied with a text explaining my early morning prompting and got one back, that I had the wrong number for her. NO wonder she hadn't responded all these months.
Anyhow...with all of these memories and thoughts...I am touched that Spirit had prompted thoughts about a person I love so much.
This reconfirms to me the Power of Pray and the Holy Ghost in guiding us though our lives.
I am renewed and reminded to listen carefully to those thoughts and feelings that are in my heart.
I sometimes wonder and question if it's just me or if it's really the Holy Ghost nudging me. I need to be more confident in this POWER.
I love my Heavenly Father and have Faith that my dear cousin will be taken care of and the Doctors will help her become well again.
OH..I love my family and I LOVE the fact that we are NEVER alone! SO comforting to know this!
2 comments:
Ren, you're a good girl. Holls is a good girl too. I have to say I remember being around in more than one of those memories. In fact we held an impromtu dance party on behalf of those good times. How about you pass on Holly's number... love you and thanks for listening to the Spirit.
i was starting to feel really sick about what i was reading because i just knew it wasn't ending good!!!! i SO happy for your family that there is hope!!!! what fun memories you have with your sweet cousin and by the way what would a girl relationship be if there was no weird drama? thank you for sharing this!
Post a Comment