I'm a list maker. I love making lists of groceries, maps, thoughts, ideas, books, blog posts. I have lists of all these on my cork board in the office, on my phones notebook section, in my purse on a paper, next to my bed, on my fridge and who knows where else.
I have purchases numbers of little booklets to keep in my purse or in my console of the car...just in case I have the idea of the year or that perfect story or a memory I want to jot down. I am so drawn to the cutesy little spiral bound notebooks you find for only a few dollars at ROSS or Target. I find myself walking through the aisles and then migrating towards the stationary. I laugh at myself when I end up in front of the sale shelf and start putting notebooks in my basket. I love giving them away as gift...with the thought in mind that everyone loves to write/doodle/jot down their thoughts, as much as I do...which isnt' always true.
I have always been a list maker as long as I can remember. Well, maybe not always lists..but doodles.
I remember sitting in front of the TV when I was younger and just writing a word I would hear from the TV and write it down...many times in many different way and sizes.
I also love reading lists of things....records, books, memories or a bunch of ideas. One of my favorite books is a small little thing that is titled "14,000 Things to Be Happy About".
It's a thick book as you might guess..with 14,000 memories/thoughts from someones life. But it brings back memories of mine as well. I have had this book since I got married back in 1997. Luke and I have taken part in this project for years that we'll read a thought from this book and then with our own hand write one of our memories that is similar to what we just read. It's always in the same spot...the Bathroom!
EXAMPLE:
Book: "Selecting Ripe Melons"
ME: - as a child, watching my mom thump a watermelon for the perfect ripeness pitch..which rarely failed her.
Book: "Tobacco Store"
ME: - Taking Rent to the owner of our Georgia apartment, who also owned a Tobacco Store. We would take our check to his store, every month.
There are thoughts in this book that didn't apply to me 10 years ago..but do now. And there are thoughts that don't apply to me now..but might in 10 years. Its fun reading all the little things that someone thought of.
Sometimes we'll just put a location and a date next to a thought or a person's name next to a thought. It's a fun way to bring back memories that you might never remember on your own.
Anyhow...I think I have passed this trait onto my oldest child. I come across lists that she has created and have to laugh out loud. She once made a list of ideas on "How to Become a Good Mormon". I so wish I could find that list! It's around here somewhere...I gotta find it...it's so cute.
Here is a list she made that I have to put on my blog.
TIPS FOR FAMILY
by. lainie 2/2011
-Never go outside with the door open.
-When the house is quiet, Memphis is gone.
-Make sure that Creed's toys isn't in Mom's hands.
-Clean up after Memphis before Dad finds out.
-Don't let Memphis go by a dog.
-Wake up Shelby before regular wake up time.
-Don't make Carter mad.
-Get Dad out of the house before Mom says "Quick Pick Up".
-Make your bed before mom has a hermania. (hernia)
-Shelby makes a mess in the closet, so do not let Dad see.
-Mimi hates our old silverware, so get rid of them.
So adorable and all so TRUE! Each one of these thoughts have a story behind them..which makes them even funnier to us.
I better go make a list of my lists! (har har har)

4 comments:
That was awesome!!! I am laughing so hard right now! Mimi hates half my kitchen, so I feel ya! ;)
Sooo funny ...I totally make lists too! Please tell the stories behind Lanie's list. Some are self explanatory, but others I feel like I REALLY want the story!
Awesome. I am a list-er too. My problem is that sometimes I can't remember where my list is.
Ren,
I love your blog. You make me think. I could spent all my time reading what you and the other girls write. Great memories.
mom
Post a Comment