"911, what's your emergency" is one of the longest sentences known to mankind, or a mother that is calling to report that her son is lost.
"My son, my 3 year old son is lost, I cant' find him, it's dark out here and I don't know where he is" is one of the hardest sentences known to a parent.
Luke and I stood in the middle of the dark road at the festival of light in the middle of Tucson looking at each other for answers.
I thought Creed was in the stroller with him and he thought I had him with me as we walked nearly 10 feet apart zig zagging back and forth, down the past 3 blocks of lite up houses. When neither one of us had an answer for the other, we stopped in our tracks. With no words spoken the answers and possiblities that we feared were running through our heads in a flash.
We both, at the same instant, knew the last time we had saw him and it was a terrifying thought.
We realized that when we had stopped at the last "big" display he was with us.
We realized that that last "big" display was roughly 2 blocks back.
We realized that 2 blocks back was about 15 minutes ago...because of our pace.
We realized that the roadways were very dark and in between intersections there were only christmas lights, no street lights.
We realized that he was 3 and could very well be running the wrong way looking for us.
We realized that this was not a normal neighborhood where the roads were straight, but it was like maze. especially at night.
We realized he was alone.
We realized that we were very scared and needed to find him NOW.
The roads are very dark in tuscon because of the Observatory that is nearby...so they rarely have street lights and the ones that they have are the dark yellow lights.To see a persons face, 20 ft in front of you is not gonna happen..you could see their outline, but no faces!
We both ran to the Y intersection that was 15 feet away and stopped trying to remember what road we came up.
1st...the darkness made it difficult to tell the differences between the roads
2ndly...I was in a bit of a panic, so looking down these dark long roads knowing my boy was somewhere by himself...I could hardly remember what road it was.
Finally, I remember this house with a big sign in front of it that read "casa de los Ninos" and then I knew. As I watched LUke walk off into the dark...my mind started playing games and every thought that could cross it...DID.
I gathered my other 4 kids around me told them the situations and that we needed to stay close. My neighbor, who we were with, came up and I informed her with a panic in my voice.
Then I got a call from Luke...
ME..."you got him?"
LUKE..."no, honey I dont!"
ME..."we got to find him? Should I call 911?"
LUKE..."yes" in the most calm/nervous voice I had heard
When I heard Luke say we need to call 911, I had the most sickening feeling come over me.
At once I called 911 and reported my little 3 year old boy, LOST! What a gut wrentching feeling. I have NEVER in my life ever felt so dark, so lonely, so confused, so cluttered, so sick, so weak, so hopeless, so stupid.
HOW could I do this? How could I leave my child somewhere by himself. How could I be so dumb?
As I talked to the dispatch me and the kids were yelling "CREED" up and down the road. I yelled at people that were passing "HELP me, I have lost my son. Has anyone seen a little boy by himself? Please can someone help me find my little boy?" People passed me like I was some sort of Zoo animal....finally a couple stopped and asked me a few questions that might help them know him better. Everyone else just passed me by.
Me and the girls did see a boy standing 50 yards away looking at some light all by himself so I sent Lainie and Shelby to see if that was him. They were scared to leave my side, incase I were to leave them. I reassured them that I would stand right there and not move...so off they ran to verify if that was their brother. IT wasn't!
By now, 5 minutes, which seems like an eternity has passed. Me still on the phone with the dispatch and the dispatch talking to the police that were in the area on bikes.
Two minutes more pass and I can do nothing by stand there in one spot, just in case he is really on the other side of where we really think he is.
Finally I get a text on my phone from luke
"GOT HIM"was all I needed to read.
I informed the operator but asked that she didn't hang up till I knew for sure. She said that she was on the line with some officers that confirmed a lost boy had found his father.
I grabbed the kids and started running towards where I saw Luke walk off 10 minutes before. Half way down the rd i see luke with little Creed on his shoulders.
Luke told me that Creed was going the opposite way than us and he was across the street about 80 feet from where we last saw him. He had sat down and told Luke "I sat down and was waiting for you to find me". Luckily a nice couple had stopped and asked if he was lost, reassured them that they would find his parents and didn't leave him until Luke got there. I can't express my gratitude to the couple I don't know for being so kind and not being in such a hurry to stay with my little boy.
Later I asked him if someone told him to sit down and not move. He said "NO, I just sat down and was waiting for you".
I asked him if the people with the dog said that he was going the wrong way? He said "dogs don't talk".
-I can't even think about the what if's
-I can't even think about how that night could of gone a whole different way in a matter of a second...because of the darkness, the houses, the people, the confusion.
-I can't even fathom the thoughts and emotions that parents go through that go home empty handed without their child because of a kidnapping or lost child situation.
-I can't even thank my Heavenly Father enough for the guidance he gave Luke and Creed to find eachother.
-I am so Grateful for the early Christmas Miracle that we experienced.
if you want to know where he was and where I was go here
I was on Bentley & Kleindale
He was on Fox & Kleindale
-don't forget to say your prayers for those that are lost!
11 comments:
oh my gosh ren, i am in tears! this IS my biggest fear. i am so sorry that you had to experience it. what an enormous NIGHTMARE!!! so glad that you found your sweet boy.
i don't know you, but i know you are related to my cousin, kristin daniels. i sometimes find myself reading your blog while blog hopping. i just wanted to say hello and say how happy i am that you found your son that night. a christmas miracle indeed! i am sitting here in tears thinking about how panic stricken and sick i would be if that happen to me and my little girl. thank goodness heavenly father was looking out for you and your family that night. i hope you all have a very merry christmas!
Ren, SO GLAD you found little Creed! What a heart wrencher! Love you, girl! So glad your family will all be together for Christmas!
I already knew the story and I still bawled. So happy little dude is safe and that someone stopped to feed the zoo animals long enough to help. Love your face...I am going to watch White Christmas in your honor right now....I think I'll even learn a few of the dances for the next family reunion.
That was a gut wrenching story...totally bawling like a baby right now. That is the WORST feeling that you could have. I'm so glad it all worked out!
On a side note, do you think you could have Helayna save those dance moves for the Allen reunion. I'm dying to see them. :)
It's a good thing we didn't know this was happening WHEN it was happening...so far from us, rendering us helpless! Just reading this caused a tightening of the muscles around our hearts, wrung the breath out of our lungs and caused stinging tears to leak from our eyes. DON'T DO THAT AGAIN! Creed...Mimi and Papa are SO thankful that you were such a smart little fellow..good job sitting tight and telling someone you were lost...and we're so proud that you had faith that your parents would find you! XOXOXO
amen sister....im so greatful we all learned alittle something here. and maybe this pricked your heart to feel the spirit of christmas?? I am so grateful they found eachother. you know you never want to think of anything happening to anyone of your fmaily memebrs but when their is a scare like this, it makes you want to really think twice about everything you say do and think! I love you and all your babies! Thank you for the reminder to pray for those who still are lost, so they too may return home!
Love you lukey and ren!
xoxxo ruby
Holy freaking CRAP!! I am crying my eyes out! That is SO SCARY! Too too scary.. I am so glad everything is OK. Dang... I think it's the "what if's" that just eat you alive! Dang...
Geez Rennie, I had to quit reading the story when I first clicked on it cause I started crying and had to leave soon so tears weren't in my best interest right then. :) I knew it had to end well so I waited to come back and cry when I had more "red face" flexibility. :) I don't know how many times I've thought about that quote that says,
"The decision to have a child is to accept that your heart will forever walk about outside your body."
I heard it plenty before I had Sophia and it has a completely new meaning now. It's like it's impossible to love them more, but every day you just do. Creed is a lucky little boy.
P.S. YOU HAVE to read that book, "Protecting the Gift" it has tons of practical advice on teaching safety to kids, the one that your story made me think of is that he says to teach kids that if they get lost they should always look for a mommy who has kids and ask her for help. He says by THEM choosing who to approach they are much less likely of being approached by a predator - especially by choosing a woman. Anyway, I love that book, lets talk soon and we'd love to have Creed and Carter over for a playdate soon. I'll call you...
Holy crow sister, that is the WORST feeling ever! I am SO glad that story had a happy ending!
Miss you guys! Happy new year!
Ren- That has got to be the worst feeling ever! I am glad your little guy is safe back where he belongs. I saw your name on one of my friends blogs. I was hoping it was you. It has been years. You have such a beautiful family! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!-Brandi
Post a Comment