I have been wondering over the past few days what happens to our childhood, young adult dreams? You know the ones that we have when we are asked in 5th grade "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Or the ones that we create in our mind when we see an occupation and it mesmerizes us into knowing...."that's what I want to do when I get older".
I was struck with this thought the other day when I came across a few friends on Facebook. I remember when we were younger and I remember what their passion were.
I remember one of my friends, from High School, loved to sing. It's was a love, a talent and it was gonna be a career. Oh, and my cousin....that's all she did all day, was sing. She was in every choir class in high school and college. She sang for the old folks homes and the reunions and the assemblies and the for the birds. If any one was gonna be a singer in "REAL LIFE" it was going to be her.
Okay, then there was this one guy from college that played on the college football team. He was scrawny but had muscles and not really built for football. I would say he looked more like he played soccer. I have to add that the position he played for the football team, says it all. He played KICKER. Anyhow, he was also in my college band class. He played the trumpet and was really good. When I got to know him better I found out that he had a band. They were really good. They played music that is popular now...but was strange then. I am talking about 13 yrs ago. I knew he was going to make this a career. He didnt' tell me that...but I was sure. I suppose it was my dream for him.
Then there is this guy that wanted so badly to be a firefighter. When he grew up he went to all the little firefighter camps and clinics. I don't really know what their called...but that sounds appropriate. When he got older he still had a bit of a drive to do it. When he drove past the Firehouse....there is this slight longing to be there.
Lastly there is ME...I wanted to be a Graphic Designer. I went to college clinics and these little day camps during the summer. What happened to that dream. I still want that in my life.
I suppose LIFE is what happens. We get jobs through our friends father or our family or we just find a job that pays enough to survive....then we get stuck.
All of these people that I write about have jobs and are living that "REAL LIFE" but none of them are doing what they loved. I need to say...that these were their dreams while they were young and thought anything is possible.
At what point do we lose that? At what time in our lives do we cross this line and say "alright I am ? yrs old and now I am struck with what my parents wanted me to do...or....I am stuck because my neighbor gave me a job while going to college and now I can't move on....or...I now have a family and moving jobs to fulfill my dreams would be crazy?
Where do we lose those dreams or the drive to be happy with work. Work is a must. It's the way we better ourselves and become closer to our Heavenly Father. want to know how? READ THIS!
I know there are many people out in the workforce world that love their jobs and are very grateful for them....is it there lOVE or passion? I don't know. Are they content with where they are?
So...the next questions is...if they aren't in their dream job...what is the force that makes them content with where they are in life?
I suppose we change. I guess life that surrounds us creates a new person in us and we begin to love other things. We find that as a college student singing is fun, but playing in your garage or for old peeps...don't pay the bills. Or we realize firefighting would be wonderful...but now your older...you can't stand being HOT.
Or creating graphic art would be wonderful...but your creative eye isn't really that good.
so..I suppose we just move on.
lots of random thoughts and a crazy post....but it was just on my mind.
5 comments:
i think about this sometimes too. i have always said that i want to be a mom but when asked what occupation i wanted have it was alway to be a veteranarian...because of my love of animals. i don't love animals that much anymore. haha!
i only know ONE girl that followed her dream from childhood thru adulthood. she work her rear off when we were kids and placed her self in all the right places to become what she wanted to be. stacy ferguson was able to transform herself into FERGIE and has the career she always dreamed of. but does she wish she was a mommy?
Hey Renny! I happened upon your blog when I was reading Helayna's. Hope you guys are good. I loved this post. Knowing that Lex is actually chasing his dream of being a surgeon...is sometimes the only thing that keeps me going. This residency business can be for the birds most of the time, but it's worth it to me if it means he will love his work for the rest of his life. Of course, other times, I just want to toilet paper the operating room and egg the hospital (all in the same night, mind you!) But we are pushing through. :) I really loved reading your thoughts on this though. It made me think about what's next for me! Hope you guys are good. Loves, Jessi (Lex's wife)
when I was 15 I said I wanted to be a social worker, and I am one, but my dream, to get my PH.D. I probably will someday. I'm pretty passionate about doing what I say i will, well, it seems I have a harder time in the weightloss dept.
you're always thinkin'!
when i was little, like 8-12 years old i wanted to be a "horseback rider", not a jockey. whatever that was! then i wanted to be an actress. of course being a mom was always on the list, the other "dreams" were back-ups in case the mom thing never panned out. good thing it finally did because i have no desire to be either of those other 2!
i think you have a great eye (the green OR the blue one!) but seriously, you always create such works of art!
...or is one brown?
Post a Comment