Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Grandparents and Memorial Day

There's no place like home
except Grandma's.

~Author Unknown







Our summer begins in less than 2 weeks and we are thrilled to be going to visit Granparents on both sides of the family.

CAN'T WAIT!
......
.......

-Today I would encourage you to write 10 things you remember about your grandparents and their home.


Here is mine:

1. My mothers parents had a Pink Bathtub and sink and a faucet that did and still does leak. Their bathroom always smelled of listerine & farm. I loved it!

2. My Father Grandparents home had crystal knobs on their doors.

3. My Father Grandmother always had a correct place setting set on her table and was refered to, by her husband, as the Snazzy Granny.

4. My Mothers Father always carried a piece of doublemint gum in his shirt pocket for which ever grandchild got there first....but always seemed to have a limitless supply. And my mothers mom always chewed the gum "freshen up". When you bit into it you would find the center was filled with a liquid. (wierd & yet a surprise)

5. My Mother's Father had 2 yellow three wheelers that we would all fight over when visiting his home. He taught us a great lesson on sharing. And then we learned that if you didn't want to share, you learned how to drive real fast and jump it real high by the cemetary so nobody would want to ride with you. (hee hee)

6. My Fathers Mom would make the best peanut butter fudge. I would sneek into the kitchen, after I had been given my ration, and swipe a few more pieces.

7. My Fathers Grandfather was named Junius, which is where I get my middle name "june". (Mr. Junius is the man in the middle photo with his sweet wifey....isn't he so handsome)
8. My Fathers Grandparents were teeny tiny people and it seemed that their kitchen cabinets were shorter than normal. I loved their dining area nook and all the windows that allowed the sun to shine through. I remember they had a swinging door from their kitchen into the living room....we loved that door.

9. My Mommies Mommy was a Professional Fisherwoman in her own right. I remember the countless fish fries we would endulge in at her home. I remember once sitting just outside the kitchen window and someone passing my plate full of fish & vinegar, for dipping, right out the window to me. I thought, at the moment, how cool that was.

10. My mom's parents lived on a farm and had the BEST collection of old household appliances tucked out in the tall sagebrush. We would go out the back door, through the garden, under the barbedwire fence and down the hill into the brush that was taller than us and play house all day long. She had old washers, the kind you would have to crank the clothes through 2 rolling pin type things to get all the water out. She had dryers and sinks and old cars and glass colored bottles, old glass electric insulators that we would collect in put in our makeshift kitchen "area". Oh, I loved playing down there, except for the occasional snake scare.


I love going home to my parents home, thinking about all the memories of my own. I can't wait to see what my children will write about when remembering their grandparents. And then What will my Grandchildren write about me?

1 comment:

Cally said...

I loved this post Ren! It brought back lots of memories for me. The gum, the fish...grandma gutting them in the back room in the sink, and of course the electric insulators and the huge playground between their house and the corrals. Loved those days!